[IMAGE-SIG] CDX python for writing games

Ed Phillips ed@udel.edu
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:01:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, David Ascher wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:48:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Ascher <da@skivs.ski.org>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed@UDel.Edu>
> Cc: image-sig@python.org
> Subject: Re: [IMAGE-SIG] CDX python for writing games
>
> > 	Would anyone be interested in such a thing?  I was thinking that
> > it might be nice to merge CDX (a nice interface to DirectX) into python.
> > It would basically allow the use of DirectX from python... but since I'm
> > new to python, I'm not very skilled at creating these kind of
> > wrappers/modules yet. I'd like to be able to do full screen 640x480x256
> > color (at least) with sprites, maps (made of tiles), load and save
> > bitmaps, play sounds, play MIDI, etc. from python.  Sorry for the
> > off-topic stuff... is there a general mailing list?
>
> I haven't looked into CDX, but I do have an alpha version of an interface
> to MGL, which provides very fast graphics on PC's.  Check
> www.scitechsoft.com for info on MGL.  Email me for info on the Python
> interface to it.

I've heard of MGL... is it any good?  Is the Python interface shaping up?
I'd like to find out more.  I saw a review of MGL on www.egerter.com (a
non-free competitor so it's biased) that kinda cut MGL to pieces - of
course: they're trying to sell PowerRender,WGT,etc.

> More to the point: yes, definitely, build an interface to CDX.  But first
> read about SWIG (http://www.swig.org), it'll most likely save you weeks of
> work.
>
> --david

I was thinking about SWIG... but I'm not really sure CDX is that
complicated - and it's in C++ so it won't be as simple as just making
interfaces for python to call C routines.  I'll need to make some python
classes, some python functiions, and make some C++ to create CDX and
manage the CDX objects and do things that really need to be as fast as
possible (like blit a list of sprites, blit the background, etc.).  If
you're interested, CDX is at http://www.maidex.demon.co.uk/.  It's really
a nice package and easy to program in C++... but I like to be able to
edit/run/edit/run without all the waiting to compile, etc., and hopefully
python+CDX will make all the nasty Windows+DirectX stuff disappear! 8-)

|Ed Phillips <ed@udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082       |
|Systems Programmer II, Network and Systems Services                   |
|finger -l ed@polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key                  |

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org