[Image-SIG] Basic problem

louisb@ix.netcom.com louisb@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:03:05 -0500 (CDT)

Looking for comments ...

I seem to have neglected some initial setup task. I get the following error
regardless of what image file I attempt to open. (lena.gif, lena.ppm, lena.jpg)

"test.bmp"   was made from the Microsoft Paint program.

>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('c:/proj/wavelet/test.bmp')
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "C:\Python\modules\pil\imaging\Image.py", line 731, in open
    raise IOError, "cannot identify image file"
IOError: cannot identify image file

I'm using Win95 with Pyth151.exe and pil.zip from the same download page.

I can't seem to fault the "preinit()" function in Image.py.