[IMAGE-SIG] Palettes and current version

David Walton david@alphagene.com
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 08:33:22 -0500

Hello,

I'm a bit of a newbie to imaging, and have a couple of questions
regarding PIL.  First off, I'm curious what the current version
for Unix is.  0.2b4 is the version I found on the Image-sig
page, but that version seems quite out dated (February?), and
I've seen mention in the Image-sig archive of versions .3b1 and
.3b2.

My second question is in regards to palettes.

I'm trying to draw an image based on data that we've collected.
It's been requested that I produce a tiff image of the data
using false colors, because someone wants an image with raw
data and a broad spectrum of color to work with.

With that said, I've created an instance of the Image object.
Initially I tried creating the image as
Image.new('RGB',(width,height),(255,255,255))

However, when I attempted to draw rectangles of various colors onto
this image, I got an error:
    self.im.draw_rectangle(xy, self.ink, self.fill)
ValueError: PIL: images do not match

After looking into the documentation, I realized that I needed
to define my image with a palette to use the rectangle method.
I redefined my image using 'P' instead of 'RGB', and then attempted
to create image.palette using ImagePalette.ImagePalette('RGB').

When I try to now create an instance of the ImageDraw class, I
get an error:
    self.im.putpalette(self.palette.rawmode, self.palette.data)
AttributeError: rawmode

After looking at the ImagePalette.py library, I discovered there
is no rawmode attribute.  Interestingly enough, there is a raw
class in that same library which has a rawmode attribute.

I can't find anything in the documentation, in the script examples
or in the Image-sig mailing list archive that addresses this.

Any help anyone can provide me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave
--
Dave Walton
Scientific Software Engineer

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org