[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] New PIL experiment.

Mark Hammond MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue, 27 May 1997 09:52:27 +1000

I see a few other people got sick of the Tkinter FAQ too :-)

So I took the latest PIL binaries from www.python.org, and wraped it up in
the new installation package.  The installer:
* correctly finds Python's installation, and suggests you install under
there.
* Installs Tk and Tkinter correctly, and sets the environment variables.
On 95 this is done via Autoexec.bat, on NT this is done via the registry
(unfortunately, both require a reboot when done)
* Allows uninstall etc.
* Works :-)

On the down side:
* Requires a Pythonwin 1.0 install to work.
* Does not allow you to specify your own TK or TCL directories - always
installed under the core install directory (default is "{Python}\Imaging"
* No readme..

You can find it at
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/mhammond/pil.exe

It would be really cool if some people on these SIGS (especially people who
dont yet have PIL yet) could give this a try and see if it works.

Please remember than my intention is to split the Pythonwin installation
into a few packages.  Thus, in the future it will _not_ be necessary to
have installed Pythonwin - only to have installed via "setup" the "core
Python binaries".  There will then be a few "Extension installers", of
which Pythonwin (and win32com) will be just a few.

Mark.
Mark Hammond - MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Check out Python - _the_ language for the Web/CGI/Windows/MFC/Unix/etc
<http://www.python.org> & <http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin>

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org