[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] report on problems compiling PIL 0.2b4 on Solaris 2.5.1

Steinar Bang sb@metis.no
27 Mar 1997 16:13:13 +0100

Platform: UltraSPARC, Solaris 2.5.1, gcc 2.7.2.1, python 1.4,
	  zlib 1.0.4, jpegsrcv6a

LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/opt/IXImd12s/lib:/opt/pub/lib

I've been trying to configure, and compile PIL 0.2b4 on the above
platform, with zlib, python, and libjpeg installed under
	/opt/pub/

I've unpacked PIL into
	/opt/pub/lib/python-1.4/Extensions/Imaging/
(there was no Extensions directory there on beforehand, so I added
one.  I have absolutely *no* idea what to do to make sure that python

I've tried both
	./configure
and
	./configure --prefix

In both cases, the configure script reports, that it finds libz.a, but
not libjpeg.a, even though they both reside in the same directory.

When compiling, it fails to find the include file zlib.h (which
resides in the directory /opt/pub/include).  I added /opt/pub/include
manually, in the generated Makefile.  It then compiled.

I did a "make check", which made xv pop up with a "fruit sallad"
version of "lena".

I then changed to the Imaging directory, and did
	make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
This creates a Makefile, so I did an
	make
which crashed out with
	/opt/pub/lib/python1.4/Extensions/Imaging% make
	gcc  -O -I/opt/pub/include/python1.4 -I/opt/pub/lib/python1.4/config -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -IlibImaging libImaging/libImaging.a -I/usr/local/include /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a -I/usr/local/include /usr/local/lib/libz.a -c ./_imagingmodule.c
	gcc: /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a: No such file or directory
	gcc: /usr/local/lib/libz.a: No such file or directory
	*** Error code 1
	make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `_imagingmodule.o'
	/opt/pub/lib/python1.4/Extensions/Imaging%

[Note! PIL is not something I need right now, I just tried to compile
 it, to use it together with Grail-0.3b3.  But I figured you might
 appreciate a build report]

- Steinar

--
Steinar Bang, NCR Norge AS, METIS ED&D, P.O.Box 1094, N-3194 Horten, Norway

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org