[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Save a 5 bit gif as a 5 bit gif?

John Lehmann (SSASyd) LEHMANNJ@saatchi.com.au
Tue, 10 Jun 97 20:29:00 S

Hi,

I have a large 32 colour (5bit) gif (a map), from which I crop a smaller
image in response to a click (zooming in on a square of an image-map).

When I save this smaller image as a GIF, PIL seems to default to using an
8-bit palette (filling the remaining space with shades of grey) which has
the side effect of making the smaller image about 55k - almost as big as
the original.  As a 5-bit image, the gif is more like 15k.  However, I
cannot find any obvious way of setting the bit depth that I want for the
gif.

I tried looking through the source but got confused.  There does seem to
be some support for setting the bit depth of a gif... is this likely to
turn out to be a fruitful line of inquiry?

 --
John J Lehmann--lehmannj@saatchi.com.au

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org