[IMAGE-SIG] propaganda

Daniel Michelson Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:37:45 +0200

Greetings!

Python is already being used at NASA and we want it to get a foot in the
door at EUMETSAT too! We're involved in a very large project designed to
prototype the next generation methods and systems for processing
meteorological satellite data for all EUMETSAT members. We're part of a
consortium of European weather services of which we're the only ones
with any knowledge of and experience with Python. =

We're now faced with the task of convincing our partners that Python is
worth using. So far, the attitude seems to be that Python is assumed
"guilty" until proven "innocent"; the preferences among our collegues
are ANSI C and Fortran 77 administered by sh or ksh... :-(

There is a lot of good information at python.org but: =

If anyone has written a page or two (or more) previously on the benefits
of using Python when building a large distributed system, would you
please share it with me?

Please help! We don't want to be caught in a time warp and forced to use
old, slow methods!

best, -d

+------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|                  | Daniel B. Michelson                              |
| /\ |\  /| |  | | | Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute|
| \  | \/ | |__| | | S-601 76 Norrk=F6ping, Sweden                      |=

|  \ |    | |  | | | Telephone: +46 11 - 15 84 94                     |
| \/ |    | |  | | | Telefax:   +46 11 - 17 02 07                     |
|                  | Internet:  Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se              |

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org