[IMAGE-SIG] installation of PIL 0.3a1

Daniel Michelson Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:49:30 +0200

Hej PIL people!

Just a few comments on my installation experience, so that it may be
avoided in future releases and by others who may be more newbie than I
(if this is possible...):

The installation instructions say:

4. To check that this library works as it should, type:

	$ make check

   It isn't much of a test, but it shouldn't crash, at least :-)

This is what I got...

% make check
=2E/coretest
make: *** [check] Floating point exception (core dumped)

=2E..running on a DEC Alpha with DEC UNIX 4.0. I guess this is Fred's ide=
of a coretest. ;-)

Then there were 2 compiler warnings to _imagingmodule.c: lines 845 and
1249 ("signed char" being incompatable with "unsigned char")

The installation seems to result in an OK PIL, apart from these
glitches. Then again, I haven't put PIL to the test yet. Who knows what
will come out of the woodwork...

We hope to use PIL as one of a number of building blocks to a
Python-based weather radar software system. =

best, -d

+------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|                  | Daniel B. Michelson                              |
| /\ |\  /| |  | | | Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute|
| \  | \/ | |__| | | S-601 76 Norrk=F6ping, Sweden                      |=

|  \ |    | |  | | | Telephone: +46 11 - 15 84 94                     |
| \/ |    | |  | | | Telefax:   +46 11 - 17 02 07                     |
|                  | Internet:  Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se              |

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org