[IMAGE-SIG] Font types with PIL

Andrew Kuchling amk@magnet.com
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 17:03:11 -0400 (EDT)

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik.lundh@image.combitech.se> wrote:
>Well, in fact there is some undocumented stuff in there:

	Oh, very good!  That undocumented stuff is about 75% of what's
required; all that's needed is to write higher-level functions that
keep track of the cursor position, and more conversion programs for
different font formats.  A question: why does getmask() assemble the
mask for the entire string, as opposed to having Image.text() loop
over each character and update a position?  Then getmask() would be
essentially a dictionary retrieval--take character, return Image
object containing bitmap--and ImageFont objects become just a
collection of data.  I'm simply curious why things were implemented
the way they are...

>Don't know when I'll get time to release the next PIL release; things
>related to books and PythonWare will occupy 142% of my time for the
>next few weeks...

	Ah, well... we'll be waiting for it with bells on. :)
(Particularly the tostring()/fromstring() fixes, in my case; I
promise to write a generic Numeric-to-PIL-and-back conversion
function.)

	Andrew Kuchling
	amk@magnet.com
	http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org