[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] new PIL user?

Kent Polk kent@eaenki.nde.swri.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:31:50

I have a few questions regarding PIL. First, why am I interested?

I work at Southwest Research Institute as a general-purpose research
scientist. Somewhat specialize in computer data acquisition and data
analysis applications, but do everything from building automated
movable incore monitoring systems to GIS database and WWW data and
information-handling applications. As to GIS applications, I often
do a lot of work for one of our geologic analysis GIS groups, building
custom and ARC/Info databases from raw data and images, etc. So I
am very interested in potential PIL applications to the GIS field.
Particulary that of automating the building geo-referenced data sets
including sparse matrix image sets.

However, what caused me to build PIL locally was the mention of WMF
read support. I am building a custom group document-development WWW
application in which I need to convert microsoft Word and PowerPoint
files to HTML on a Solaris www server. :^( Tackling the problem on
piece at a time, I need to be able to convert wmf files to something
else under unix.

I talked to Fredrik Lundh about the wmf support (after reading his
announcement disclaimer). I've also taken a look at the PIL drawing
library somewhat. I noticed from the limited information about wmf
that I have found (does anyone have up-to-date information about the
WMF format?) that the drawing methods are almost 1-1 like the Ghostscript
drawing primitives. PIL still appears somewhat primitive in this area
unless I completely missed something. Has anyone considered using the
ghostscript drawing library (bypassing postscript) to render images
for PIL?

Thanks

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute
Internet : kent@eaenki.nde.swri.edu

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org