[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] PIL Feature Summary

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Thu, 30 May 1996 10:33:31 +0200

> I'd be interested in adding IMG support to python since I'm using the
> IMG library for other portions of the appliction.

Hmm, reading the mail again, I'm noticed that is said IMG and not
PIL...  Does this refer to Jack Jansen's library or something else?
(Jack's stuff is definitely well integrated in Python :-)

Anyway, here's a short summary of current image resources.  Post any
additions or corrections to the list.

* The Python Imaging Library (by Fredrik Lundh)

   Adds an Image object to the Python interpreter, supporting
   a variety of image operations.  Includes Tk and Windows display
   support, support for some 20 file formats, and more.  Current
   version is 0.1b1.

   http://www.python.org/sigs/image-sig/Imaging.html

* The IMG library (by Jack Jansen)

   Reads and writes a variety of file formats, and supports
   display on X and Mac systems.  An interface to PIL is available.

   ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python-img/

* The GD library (by Richard Jones)

   'It allows your code to quickly draw images complete with lines,
    arcs, text, multiple colors, cut and paste from other images, and
    flood fills, and write out the result as a .GIF file. This is
    particularly useful in World Wide Web applications, where .GIF
    is the format used for inline images.'

   http://daneel.rdt.monash.edu.au/%7Erichard/gdmodule

Regards	/F

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org