[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Announcing an img<->PIL bridge.

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:05:38 +0100

Hmm, I guess that I can pat both Fredrik and myself on the shoulder
for writing Well Designed Extensions: despite the pretty different
architecture of PIL and img I've written a bridge module in just a few
hours.

This module, in the form of a PIL plugin, will allow you to use PIL
with files in any format supported by img: GIF, TIFF, JPEG, SGI and
the Pbm formats currently.

For the time being the module will only read files (since I didn't
understand how the plugin architecture works for
writing. Fredrik?). Also, GIF files are converted to RGB, not
colormapped PIL images (since I didn't understand what a PIL colormap
looks like. Fredrik?).

You can download it from directory
<ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python-img/>. One caveat: I've tested it
only with my current img, which should be almost identical to the
img12fc1 distribution in that directory (the old img distribution
won't work). Let me know if it doesn't work for you and I'll put
together a new one.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org