[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Selective reads with PIL

Dale C. Bertrand dcb@lems.brown.edu
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:48:05 -0400

Fredrik Lundh writes:

 > > Now I'm looking ahead to an application that uses PhotoCD images.  I would
 > > like to be able to read any of the five resolutions from a PhotoCD file.
 >
 > Unfortunately, Kodak considers the PhotoCD compression method and file
 > format proper to be strictly proprietary stuff.  I've already
 > stretched it a little in PIL by supporting the uncompressed base
 > resolution...
 >
 > One solution might be to create a custom plugin using hpcdtoppm the
 > ImageMagick convert utility.  (A few weeks ago, Zack Roadhouse
 > (zack@lems.brown.edu) reported that he was working on a tighter
 > interface to ImageMagick.  Any news on this front?)

Our group has been working for the past week on an ImageMagick Module
for Python.  The module can access ImageMagick's processing rutines
and convert between the internal ImageMagick and PIL formats.  It
includes a class (MIFFImage) that is a PIL Image with ImageMagick
functionality.

Right now, the module is in the testing stage.  We've plugged it into a
project that we are working on and are currently working out the
kinks.

-Dale Bertrand
dcb@lems.brown.edu

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org