[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] PIL and palettes and drawing.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:23:46 +0100

> Ok, I've played with this some more (motivated in this case by a desire to
> avoid writing a whitepaper which really is due all-to-soon :) and I've
> come up with a new ImagePalette class, which Does What I Want.

Does What I Want as well.  I'll add some "wellknown colour names", a
few standard palettes that I have somewhere, and eliminate the need
for attach.  Stay tuned for a 0.2b4 (early January, probably).

> btw, any ideas which is a good format to be writing type P images
> to?  at the moment I'm converting them to RGB, then writing them as
> ppm. I can't have the lossiness of jpg, and the tiff writer doesnt
> write the colourmap

My current priorities wrt. palette-aware formats:

	1. fix PNG write support
	2. redesign the TIFF writer; its not very good as it stands
	3. make sure that BMP and TIFF work properly with palettes

       99. add GIF write support (not very likely, since Unisys
	   doesn't know the meaning of freeware; it would require
	   me register PIL users, pay 10 cents per user, restrict
	   the use of other parts of PIL, and add a splash screen
	   that is displayed whenever you try to write a GIF file.
	   Same rules apply to everyone using PIL to write an
	   application...  I'm tempted to add a "not to be used
	   for any purpose by Unisys" to the PIL license...)

Cheers	/F

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org