[Idle-dev] Source code of IDLE

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Oct 1 13:40:59 EDT 2017

On 9/30/2017 9:50 AM, Александр wrote:
> Tell me, please, can I use some of the IDLE source code in my program?

The official answer is "Read the license", in particular, the PYTHON
SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE VERSION 2.  You can access it on the online
docs or by entering 'license()' at a >>> prompt or in IDLE, Help =>
About IDLE => License.  In general, the license is generous in giving
permissions, so long as one gives credit and takes responsibility for
the result.

I do not know the legal definition of 'derivative work' as used in the
license, and you did not say how much is 'some'.  If you use all or most
of a module, include the the copyright notice of clause 2 and the 'brief
summary of changes' of clause 3.

If you want to reply, either subscribe to the list or use the
news.gmane.org mirror.

--
Terry Jan Reedy