[Idle-dev] Bug in cursor placement in IDLE editor windows

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Tue Nov 7 19:06:39 EST 2017

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 11:27 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
> On 11/7/2017 6:31 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> On 11/6/17 11:54 PM, Irv Kalb wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have installed  the 8.5.18 version of tk/tcl that you suggested.  But I am still seeing this problem on my Mac.
>>>
>>> Rather than trying to explain the details and my configuration, I have made a 3 minute video so you can see exactly what I am seeing.  You can find that here:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/Us8px0BY5rg
>
> Crystal clear.
>

>>> In answer to your question, I would guess that I am the same IrvKalb that is registered, but it would take me hours to figure out how to register a bug (since I have never done it before).  So if you believe that this is a real bug, I would greatly appreciate it if you could register it for me.
>>>
>>> Again, please let me know if there is any more information I can give you.
>>>
>>> (I forgot to test this out on my Windows computer at my school today - I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow.  I remember seeing this last semester on the Windows system, but we were running Python 2 back then.)
>>>
>>> Irv
>>>
>> FWIW, I don't see this issue with IDLE built against Python 3.6.1 and Tcl/Tk 8.6.7. 8.5.18 is a very old release of Tk and we are not backporting bugfixes to it. You may solve your problem by upgrading your installation of Tk.
>
> I don't know why the PSF Mac Python is still compiled against 8.5 instead of 8.6.  I will open a tkinter issue, even though it will likely be closed as 3rd party, both to document the problem and as more evidence of the need to change to compiling against 8.6.
>
> PS: About a year ago, someone (you?) said we might see a tk that supports the unicode beyond the BMP in 2017.  Is there any development in that direction.  I think that this is the tk improvement that IDLE most needs.

Thank you Kevin and Terry for looking at this.  But now I'm very confused about what to do.

Terry said that I should install Tcl/TK 8.5.18, which I did, but I still see the error.  He said that the current version of IDLE will not work with 8.6.

However, Kevin said that 8.5.18 is a very old release, and I may solve my problem by upgrading my installation of Tk.

So, should I attempt to install a newer version of Tk (8.6.?) - or am I just stuck with this odd insertion cursor behavior for now?   (I am using an absolutely vanilla download of Mac Python 3.6 from Python.org <http://python.org/>)

Irv

PS:  By the way, I did test out the same thing on my Windows 10 system at my school, and the issue does not happen there.  I realized that last semester, this same classroom had a Mac, and I saw this problem there (with Python 2.7).