[Idle-dev] Backslash on IDLE results to Yen symbol

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Feb 6 14:28:09 EST 2016

On 11/20/2015 10:12 PM, komodo dragon wrote:

 > I was wondering if you were able to look into this?

Several posts from the last three months just showed up on my machine
today. So I think this is the first I saw this.

 > I tried the backslash again and now this is what happens (please see
 > attached file).

(not to answer) / becomes YEN symbol in IDLE editor, not in terminal or
Notepad++

IDLE is based on tkinter is based on tcl/tk. tk handles keystrokes, so
this is almost certainly a tk and not an IDLE problem. Tk must somehow
think you have a non-US keyboard.

Save the following to a file and run the file both in IDLE and from
Command Prompt or Powershell.

from tkinter import *
root = Tk()
text = Text(root)
text.pack()
text.focus_set() # required to work on Windows
root.mainloop()

Type backslashes into tk Text box.

 > I'm using a custom theme on this but I tried using the default themes
 > (classic and new) but the same thing happens.

Themes only affect color marking.

--
Terry Jan Reedy