[Idle-dev] Non-buildbot human mediated tests

Saimadhav Heblikar saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:26:15 CEST 2014

Hi,
I was going through the htest.py commit.

1.
The line klas_kwds['parent'] = root (line 69) and the related comment
" # This presumes that Idle consistently uses 'parent'", could cause
certain problems with widgets not directly requiring a 'parent'
argument.(From my recall, these include PathBrowser and ClassBrowser).

One way to solve would be to move root to a namespace one level higher
and include the 'parent' arg as any you would include any other arg.
We will also get a Tk() object in the same namespace as the spec
dicts.(For eg - Useful in context of ClassBrowser which requires root
to create a PyshellFileList) This will make certain aspects easier and
more readable. This approach worked when I tested it against
ClassBrowser and the existing aboutDialog.

Another way is to include metadata in "<classname>_spec" dict to
indicate whether 'parent' is needed or not. This i feel is clumsy and
could make code in run() spaghetti.
I personally prefer the first way.

Regards
Saimadhav Heblikar