[Idle-dev] Guilherme Polo changes lost?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 16 22:02:45 CEST 2013

On 9/16/2013 1:10 AM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding about the shell window coming
> forward. Some years ago that wasn't the case and was one of the reasons
> for VIDLE.

Discussions of the future should start with the present (the most recent
public release, if not the repository.

> We agree that "No prompt" should be the default for Autosave
> Preferences/At Start of Run once a file exists, but we disagree on the
> value of being able to test a few lines of code without there having to
> be a file.

Without seeing Polo's patch, I do not know that it eliminated the need
for there to be a file.

 > Yes, one can of course create a test.py file somewhere for
> such uses, and get to it through Recent Files. But I don't like being a
> second-class citizen in this regard.

The rhetoric of discrimination has a negative effect on me. You would be
more persuasive without it.

> my strong desire for the option "If file has never been saved, No prompt".

Again, I cannot evaluate Polo's patch without seeing it.

Perhaps we should make the current option ternary.
"When running code from an editor window, prompt to save
[] any unsaved  [] 'Untitled' only  [] never"

'Untitled only' appears to be what the current 'no prompt' actually
means. 'Never' would be the new option, as it would actually mean
'never'. (I would use this for short throwaway code ;-). Untitled files
would be saved somewhere (to be decided). The saved file could be listed
in Recent files so it can be retrieved in the next session. (After a
crash or freeze, for instance.) 'New window' would still bring up a
blank window. Running a new window would over-write any saved Untitled
window.

--
Terry Jan Reedy