[Idle-dev] Idle does not open on mac

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 23 20:13:16 CEST 2013

I would recommend trying to use the subprocess module. I don't believe it
existed when I first designed this part of IDLE. However I would not use
communicate(), which is meant as a simplified API for sending one input
string and waiting for the subprocess to exit. There is a low-level API to
let you send multiple strings and receive output back as it becomes
available. (You may have to create threads to read stdout and stderr.)

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 8/23/2013 1:43 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>

>> On 23 Aug, 2013, at 3:54, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>  Probably the proper solution would use pipes instead of sockets.
>>>

>> I agree that using pipes (or even socketpair() sockets) would be cleaner
>> than the current solution, but would that work on Windows? The current
>> solution has the advantage of working on Linux, Windows and OSX without
>> having separate implementations for some of the platforms.
>>

> I presume that subprocess.Popen.communicate 'works' on Windows, as the
> docs say nothing otherwise. But I do not know if there are (still) latency
> issues.
>

> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)