[Idle-dev] Problem with the French keyboard on IDLE 3.2.2

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Mar 5 03:46:40 CET 2012

In article <4F24474A.2050206 at codebykevin.com>,
 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/12 10:38 AM, Ned Deily wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the problem is due to lack of support of Mac OS X input
> > methods in the OS X versions of Tk.  It needs to be fixed there but, as
> > far as I know, it is not being worked on by anyone in the Tcl/Tk world.
>
> It is being worked on; I'm currently reviewing an updated patch to
> address the problem. When I commit the patch, it will go into both Tk's
> trunk and in the Cocoa 8.5 backport, and eventually be available through
> ActiveState's distribution.

Update: The fix has now been released in the latest ActiveState Tcl 8.5
for Mac OS X release (8.5.11.1) available here:

    http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads

It appears to fix the French keyboard tilde problem and other similar
problems with composite characters, like Option-U + vowel to form
"umlauted" vowels in the U.S. input method.  Many thanks to Adrian
Robert, Kevin Walzer, and the ActiveState team for addressing this nasty
problem.

If you install ActiveState Tcl 8.5.x, it will automatically be used by
the python.org 2.7.x, 3.2.x, and 3.3.x 64-bit/32-bit Pythons for OS X
10.6 and 10.7.  It will *not* be used by the Apple-supplied system
Pythons or by 32-bit-only python.org Pythons.   More details here:

    http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org