[Idle-dev] [Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 00:29:26 CEST 2010

2010/7/11 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> In the 2009 Google Summer of Code I was the mentor for a Brazilian
>> student, Guilherme Polo, who completed and extended important
>> improvements to IDLE made during the previous year by David Scherer.
>> Given the somewhat official nature of this work, I assumed that these
>> needed improvements would make it into the standard distribution, but as
>> far as I know that hasn't happened. It would seem that if even this
>> "sponsored" project didn't impact the standard Python distribution,
>> something is broken in the procedures, and probably what is needed is,
>> as Guido says, that someone be given the authority to get improvements
>> to IDLE into the standard distribution. Making a significant change to
>> the update procedures is clearly needed.
>
> I don't think so; instead, the perception of authority needs to be
> adjusted (in the specific case). Guilherme could have committed these
> changes, but, for whatever reason, decided not to. Nor did his direct
> mentor (i.e. you) tell him to commit the changes, and neither did I.
>
>> Even if this needed change is made, there is also merit to Tai's
>> suggestion of creating a separate project, to encourage developers like
>> him to work together to improve IDLE, without having as a first priority
>> to worry about getting it into the standard distribution, but with the
>> clear understanding that this is the place to go for improvements to
>> migrate into the standard distribution.
>
> Again, Guilherme could commit his changes any time.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I think Martin has always supported me in some way and I really
appreciate that. But, maybe because I won commit privileges solely
based on GSoC work, I felt other developers wouldn't approve my
commits without previous discussion and that is the major reason for
not committing most of my patches.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves