[Idle-dev] IDLE GSoC Extension

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 5 20:57:07 CEST 2010

On 8/2/2010 11:54 PM, Chas Leichner wrote:
> I just wanted to check in again before going on to the next step for me
> in GSoC.  I need to start polishing work on my code very soon--the firm
> pencils down date is in two weeks--and I would like some confirmation as
> to whether or not my project could be feature in the version of IDLE
> released with Python.

All I know about extensions is that there are some that that come with
IDLE and are loaded by default and others that live on PyPI and have to
be downloaded and configured. I suspect suspect yours will have to start
as an option. To be included in the distribution, it would need the
support of a developer and a promise of at least a few years of
maintenance support from either you or the developer.

>     If you want to take a look at what I've done so far, this is my repo:
>     http://code.google.com/p/idlecarpentry/source/checkout. The .json
>     files in the examples directory will bring up a trace window directly
>     when you open them and the .py files will bring up the editor, as
>     usual. Traces can be run from the editor window by selecting Run >
>     Create Trace, annotations are pulled from any line starting with #>
>     and applied to the first line of Python code which follows. I would
>     love to hear any about any bugs you find or UI friction you encounter.
>
>     I have been keeping a blog here http://cleichner.blogspot.com/, and
>     will be posting a screencast to it tomorrow.

I support the idea of tutorial support but I cannot comment on the
implementation now.

--
Terry Jan Reedy