[Idle-dev] Options -> Configure IDLE -> Highlighting in Idle 1.2.1

Jeremy Nicoll - idle jn.ml.idle.07 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 09:35:09 CET 2007

Here, under Windows XP Pro, I'm trying to get used to IDLE.  Yesterday I
used  Options -> Configure IDLE -> Highlighting  to define a custom colour
scheme where each colourable area is defined as some bright colour (fg) on
black (bg).

In the 'clickable area' that shows the colours in effect for each type of
colourable item, "cursor |" is shown in bright yellow on a black background.
 But in the file editing window the cursor never shows up in yellow.
Experiments suggest that the cursor is ALWAYS displayed in black (fg) on
whatever background colour applies.

I've ended up changing all the other colourable items so they are on a
fairly dark grey background.  The cursor is just visible, if you look
closely.  It gets more visible if you lighten the background colour but I
don't want to.  (I loathe white backgrounds, finding black much more restful
on the eyes).

Is this a bug, or what?