[Idle-dev] New to IDLE, my wish list and, maybe, bugs.

Jonathan Cronin jcronin at egh.com
Thu Nov 1 19:42:48 CET 2007

IDLE wish list and maybe, bugs.

running on OS X version 10.4.10, IDLE version 1.2.1, MacBook

Wish list:
---------------------

Adjustable font/font size in dialog box entry fields.  Tracking the
base editor font would be just as good.

Adjustable width of scrolling key list in key preferences.
Autosizing would be better.

An settable option to automatically call "Debug:Go to File/Line" when
the shell gets an error would be nice, if feasible.

A key on the "Debug:Go to File/Line" menu item to do the same would
be nice too.

Underlying operations to support keys for Kill/Yank on a line basis
(i.e. without previous selection)  (I know, these are just hard-wired
in my fingers from Emacs.  I haven't used Emacs in years, but I've
been using editors that support Emacs-like keys)

Underlying operations for using key selection, i.e. Set Mark,
selection is between
Mark and Cursor.

(Some of the above support a low-mouse-use style of editing.)

Maybe not IDLE controllable, but it would be nice if the scroll-bars
supported mouse roller-button scrolling on OS X

When keys are configurable, it's always nice if there's a way to type
a key-combination and see the text you should enter to use that
combination in the configuration.

(+1 to existing suggestion for tabbed windows. Tear off tabs would be
very, very
nice, but that's asking a lot :) )

Bugs, maybe:
------------

On a syntax error, the shell window is left over the source window
obscuring the error highlighting.  The source window should pop to
the top. (Or I don't see the reason for the behavior)

The menu item (Format:Format Paragraph) and the key preferences show
this attached to Option-q.  When I do this the paragraph is formatted
but an œ (oe ligature) is appended.  (In a common OS X text window,
option shift inserts the ligature.) Control-Option-Shift just does
the paragraph format.

Replace highlighting of finds after the first one occasionally fails
to highlight.

This is a useless report (I can't reproduce it,) but I had one
incident of a run-away shell.  I accidently pasted a dictionary
"{ <blah>:<blah>,... }" into the shell, typed something random in an
attempt to clear it, went back to an edit window.  Response was slow
and the fan came on louder than I've ever heard it. Both processors
were at 100% and I couldn't close IDLE windows or quit IDLE.  I could
edit in a window.  Force quit of IDLE worked.

Jonathan