[Idle-dev] IDLE suggestions

BBands bbands at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:40:55 CET 2007

Tal and IDLErs,

Upon reflection I completely agree with the philosophy of keeping IDLE
simple and easy for newbes to use.

So, in reply to Tal's replies:

I have had trouble with cut and paste to the shell where I wanted to
paste a function or multiple lines. If your paste code idea allows
that, it will be good for me. (I don't use tabs in Python.)

IPyhton is really neat, but in keeping with the keep-it-simple idea
perhaps you should forget or backburner this idea.

Let me know when it's ready and I'll help test tabbed docs.

Instead of projects might save/restore a workspace be an idea?

Code folding would be nice, an alternative for IDLE might be something
like what Mark Hammond implemented in PythonWin, two views on the same
file via a movable horizontal bar.

As for paren matching, as of Python 2.5, IDLE 1.2 it is not working as
I would expect on xp. For example, I would expect the pair of
parens/brackets to change color when the cursor hits one. Right now
the first one or two of panen completions get greyed, after that
nothing else happens though ctrl-0 works. If you let me know how it is
intended to work I'll test it and post a field report.

Thanks for all you work on IDLE,

    jab
--
John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.