[Idle-dev] (IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor) in IDLE for Python 2.3.4 (final)

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Tue Jul 6 04:38:58 CEST 2004

Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> But what happens if that program is run repeatedly in the same IDLE
> shell?  Eventually, all that warning text should accumulate up to
> 4096 bytes.

You are right about that.  It finally occurred to me yesterday that if
he ran the program about 30 times he would get the error.  So I tried
that on my W2K box and for some reason I wasn't able to duplicate it
by running "check syntax" many times, though I expected to.  (I can
duplicate the pythonw/__stderr__ problem in general, and can see the
warnings going to the console when I use python instead of pythonw).
I was going to try again.

Well, anyway, the change I checked in should fix the problem and the
question remains whether to backport the whole fix to 2.3.5 or just
add a couple of lines to 'pass' on the IOError (I think it's only
SyntaxWarnings that have the problem, the subprocess handles the
runtime warnings OK.)

Right now, if you run IDLE with the -n switch (no subprocess) the
runtime warnings still go to __stderr__, and I'm looking at that.

In any case, it's not necessary to Dragonfirebane to post the
additional info I asked for; we see the source of the problem.

--
KBK