[Idle-dev] idle 1.0.2 cannot bind (again) to port 8833 w/python 2.3.3

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Thu Feb 26 17:17:00 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 05:01:05PM -0500, Al Schapira wrote:
> Neal,
> Yes, killing oafd enabled idle to start with subprocesses.
> This is what was running:
>
>  oafd --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=12
>
> It did not restart.  Based on the man page, its for CORBA, Orbit, OAF
> and/or Bonobo.  Since I don't know what any of those are, I'm not sure I
> need it.  Can you elaborate?

I'll try to describe in a general way that isn't exact:

        This is your windowing (graphical) system (GNOME or Bonobo).
        It allows GNOME applications to talk a common language (CORBA).

        Strickly speaking it isn't necessary, unless/until some
        applications need to communicate, e.g., when you make
        a configuration change to the window manager.

> Does killing oafd shed any light on what the problem with idle really
> is?

You can restart the process if you wish.  IIRC, it's started when
necessary.  The problem doesn't haven anything to do with IDLE
specifically.  When you started X (perhaps by logging in),
GNOME started up, which started oafd and it took port 8833.
Unfortunately, IDLE is hard coded (IIRC) to use the same port.
So there is a conflict since each program is trying to use
the same port.  Whichever starts first wins.  I think oafd
can use any port.

Just in case, you can verify that 8833 is not in /etc/services.
If it is in there, change the value to another number.  The
new number must be unique in /etc/services (at least for all
the TCP services).

HTH,
Neal