[Idle-dev] Serious problems getting idlefork to display on multiple xservers

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 09 May 2002 17:21:05 -0400

> A quick test suggests that works and may be just the temporary solution
> we are looking for. Thanks very much! Is there a particular range we
> should use for the PORT variable? Over 1024 for example?

I believe ports are in the range 1-65K, but 1-1023 are reserved for
root.

I don't know what other services are running on your system, so I
can't really recommend a specific range of ports; ask your sysadmin,
or use netstat to find out.  I often use numbers between 7000 and 8000
(exclusive) and that usually seems to work.  You could also try
50000-60000.