[Idle-dev] leo.py 3.0 outlining editor

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@python.net
18 Jul 2002 09:51:52 +1000

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It's pretty quiet here.

Welcome back from your break. For my part I'm in the last few days of
some work commitments that I will be oh so glad to finally kiss goodbye,
after which I'm gonna take a break which will hopefully include some
idleforking time. Also, Raymond did the right thing a couple of weeks
back and emailed to let me know that he was going to be 'out of the
country' (sic) for a while, but then I didn't do the right thing in
notifying you others that we'd be without him for a while. I have been
keeping a delighted eye on the recent SPE checkins by Kurt though. :)

> The following announcement may be of interest
> because it's an app with some similar features as IDLE
> (e.g. configuration).  It also imports IDLE and uses the Python shell,
> if it can, I believe.

I've looked at several leo releases and it seems to be very nifty
indeed, with some interesting features.

> Worth looking into?  Worth suggesting
> cooperation or at least exchange of ideas?

IMO it would be worthwhile if someone took the time to look
realistically at the possibility of at least some of the great editing
features from leo making it somehow in to idlefork. Edward Ream, the leo
author has provided idle patches before, and also read(s) (hopefully
still) this list. Edward, if you're listening, how would you feel about
some level of cooperation with idlefork, at least for seeing if any
cross-pollination between the projects is worthwhile or feasible?

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava <elguavas@python.net> http://python.net/crew/elguavas
IDLEfork http://idlefork.sourceforge.net "just like IDLE, only crunchy"