[Idle-dev] CVS: idle BrowserControl.py,1.1.3.1,1.2

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
13 Jul 2001 12:50:11 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com> writes:

> > r211c1 won't hit the latest EditorWindow (or the bug you just fixed in
> > PyShell), so I guess a date rev is the way to go.  They can have problems
> > unless everyone remembers to specify GMT. I forgot to do that when I did the
> > 9 Mar 2000 export.  I used -D 2000-03-09 23:59 and actually got
>
> Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Probably because I
> haven't been following this close enough.

For example, Stephen and I are 14 hours apart. If we both specify the same rev
by date w/o using GMT, we will get repository snapshots 14 hours
apart. Symbolic tags don't have this problem.

> > Speaking of 2.1.1, IDLE help is not working on Linux because setup.py doesn't
> > install the help.txt file.  I submitted a trivial patch on this (422471) a
> > couple of months ago.
>
> Hm, I've never bothered to install it using setup.py -- I didn't even
> know that was possible!  Why don't you fix that in idlefork, then
> we'll eventually merge back.

Works great, just go to ..../Tools/idle and run  python setup.py
Idlefork should install the same way once we get it buffed up.

I plan to fix the help functionality in idlefork when the merge is done, but
the change is so trivial, why not fix it in py-cvs?

Incidently, IDLE is installed in Windows by default. But in Linux it is not,
and I've seen some indications that some people have trouble getting it going.
Why not have it installed in Linux by default, also, so that Python comes with
the GUI IDE people seem to expect these days?

> Or if you want this in 2.1.1 final, try drawing Thomas Wouters' attention.

OK, I'll send him a copy of this. I really think that "official" IDLE's help
function should work, it may be awhile before we merge back!

Regards, KBK