[Idle-dev] idle-fork, merging 2x SPE patches

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:52:09 -0400

> 1. Continue merging py-cvs such that the original David Scherer  SPE patches
> remain undisturbed, and then work out their relationship to the new Guido
> patches and figure out which parts of which person's patches to continue
> forward with.
>
> or
>
> 2.  Merge py-cvs such that David's SPE patches are reduced to exisitng only
> in prior versions, then merge the new Guido SPE patches and look at things
> from that perspective.

I vote for 1.  The first goal should be a complete merge of IDLE 0.8
as found in the Python CVS with David's version.

Then we could look into a better way of SPE.  I don't know if David's
approach isn't just better!  I vaguely remember that Jeremy Hylton
reviewed it a year and a half ago and though it wasn't general enough,
but that was then, and I haven't verified this myself.  Also note that
Jeremy wrote and checked in RemoteInterp.py, which is yet another RPC
protocol; but he never got to the point of using it.

Yet another option would be to look into xmlrpclib, which has just
been accepted as an official standard library module in Python 2.2.