[Idle-dev] What we need, and how we can help

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:16:01 -0500 (EST)

  >> A better solution is to directly highlight the error in the
  >> editor window and move the focus there.  The innermost line
  >> outside the system modules (in my example, the only such line) is
  >> by far the best place to start.  The error message itself also
  >> needs to be displayed somewhere in that window.

  GvR> The logistics of this get tricky though...  If you put the
  GvR> message in the status bar, it isn't very obvious, and a dialog
  GvR> makes it hard to correlate it to the source window.

DrScheme uses hyperlinks for some similar cases.  I found it quite
confusing at first, perhaps because I don't expect my IDE to have
hyperlinks.  It seems, though, that it would be fairly transparent to
a new user, who is probably familiar with Web browsing.

Each filename/line number pair could be a link.  The name of the
exception could also be a link to help/documentation on what it means.

Jeremy