[I18n-sig] Python3.0.1.1 is not available when system locale is zh_TW.eucTW

"Martin v. Lo"wis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun May 31 20:05:47 CEST 2009

> Have you meet the same problem? Would you please kindly to tell me if I
> missed some steps when I compile Python from source or some env
> variables from shell or some others.

You did everything correctly; I can reproduce the problem.

The source of the problem is that Python does not support the EUC-TW
encoding. Unless a codec for that encoding is contributed, there is no
chance to run Python 3 in that locale. Python 3.1 will abort execution
with the error message

Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
LookupError: unknown encoding: EUC-TW