[I18n-sig] Support for Devanagari Script

Vijaya Poudyal vjktm at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 03:26:13 CEST 2006

Andy,
  The attached image is the desired, correct rendition.  So there is hope for my project! Now why do you think I don't get it in IDLE (Win XP, Win 200).  Any suggestions on what I should investigate to fix this?

  The Tk "Python Shell" window shows:
  Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
  IDLE 1.1.3

  Thanks,
  vjktm

Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:
  Vijaya Poudyal wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> I tried my example at the command prompt in XP and Xbash (cygwin).
> Python cannot decode the unicode in both cases. In IDLE I get the wrong
> rendering. I was not able to the "renders ... exactly the same ..."
> behavior you mentioned.
>
> When you say kSa.encode('utf8') do you get "Hello" followed by two
> characters joined along the top or just one character (as in the html)?
> When I run it I get two characters and this is a wrong rendering of the
> code point sequence.

I get exactly the same thing in both, attached. I called this 'one
character' in my ignorance, but I guess the characters get combined.
Strangely, if I move the cursor through it with right-arrow key, it
"explodes" into 3 characters while it has the focus - these are the same
ones in the unicode standards sheets for those bytes. But normally it
appears as above.

Best Regards,

Andy