[I18n-sig] Anyone here? :)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Nov 16 21:40:45 CET 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
>>There's still a lot to do on the Unicode front:
>>
>>* Unicode collation support (this is what Jim's after)
>>
>>	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/
>>
>>* Unicode compression
>>
>>	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr6/
>>
>>* Adding Locale Data support:
>>
>>	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-5.html
>>	http://www.unicode.org/cldr/
>>
>>  This is a rather new option and would finally make
>>  Python independent from the libc locale support which
>>  causes much trouble in user-land.
>

> What is a rather new option?  CLDR?

Yes, CLDR.

> Hasn't ICU covered this ground already?

No idea, I haven't looked at ICU yet - but from a glimpse
at the site:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/index.jsp

it looks as if most things are available in ICU.

The downside is its footprint:

http://icu.sourceforge.net/charts/icu4c_footprint.html

Not sure about the in-memory footprint, though.

> In any case, is someone working on leveraging CLDR in Python?
>
> Are you aware of any work to wrap ICU besides PICU and the work
> Stephan Richter did leveraging some of the ICU data in Zope?

No.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 16 2005)