[I18n-sig] locale-specific string sorting for server applications?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 15 21:39:25 CET 2005

We're looking at locale-specific sorting of strings in Zope.
The locale module doesn't seem to help because:

- It's not thread safe (yeah, we can hack around that), and

- It seems to depend on unpredictable host data.

In 2002, Martin von Löwis was interested in creating a Python
wrapper around ICU for this purpose, but I don't see anything
recent.  Does anyone know if anything happened with this?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jim