[I18n-sig] When Internationalizing ?

Werner F. Bruhin werner.bruhin at free.fr
Mon May 23 16:13:12 CEST 2005

Hi Philippe,

I find it is easier to start doing it from the beginning.

Define all strings to be translated with gettext (i.e. _('string to
translate in your base lang, for me in English')

Do some tests that all these strings size dynamiclly, e.g. a French
string is often longer then an English one.  I develope with wxPython
and had to play around a bit with sizers to get my screen layouts to
adapt to the language.

Depending how far you go with I18n you should also do all the date
handling in a way that you can easily switch from day/month/year to
month/day/year and all other possible date formats.

If you also do currency stuff you have to decide again how far you want
to go, e.g. I decided only to support 2 decimal currencies and currently
only support "." as decimial separator and "," as thousand separator
(until some customer complains).

Doing the actual translation can wait until late in the development
cycle, also don't wait too long because you might have forgotten some
strings.

Hope this helps
Werner