[I18n-sig] Planned updates for cjkcodecs before 2.4a1

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 19 08:04:11 EDT 2004

Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
> Okay. But how about embedded, freezed environments or statically
> compiled into python by uncommenting from Modules/Setup?  If somebody
> need to support only legacy Japanese encodings, he will want to
> include a legacy mapping(70K) but will not want JIS X 0213(85K) and
> KS X 1001, GB2312 mappings(200K, for iso-2022-jp-2).

People who want that have many options: the could go back to an older
version of CJKCodecs, they could use Japanese codecs, they could write
their own codecs based on libraries that are only available to the
embedded Python, they could break down your modules again.

For the average user, it does not matter much. For packaging and
maintaining, I believe it is slightly simpler to have fewer files.

So if people have an actual need for non-standard customization,
they can contribute a patch.