[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] CJKCodecs integration into Python

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 9 18:39:56 EST 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> But also it seems like there isn't universal preference for cjkcodecs
> over JapaneseCodecs:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-i18n/2003-December/001084.html

There won't be universal preference for any package that we provide,
or, for any kind of change made to Python. Unfortunately, the message
you quote is hearsay, so we don't know what the specific objections
are.

If enough users complain that a certain encoding should be modified
to work in a specific different manner, we should consider changing
the encoding. If the change does not find universal acceptance, we
should consider providing an alternative encoding, under a different
name; users could then change the alias at run-time if they want to.

If too few users complain to justify a change, users could still
implement their own modifications, by providing a new encoding that
special-cases a few code points, and then falls back to the standard
encoding.

However, we can only start accepting changes, and documenting our
design choices, when we actually have code to contribute to.

OTOH, the changes to the email test module should probably be held back
after you have incorporated the current code base.