[I18n-sig] Re: CJKCodecs 0.9 is released

Hye-Shik Chang perky@fallin.lv
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:18:36 +0900

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:25:53PM -0600, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> Hye-Shik Chang <perky@fallin.lv> writes:
>
> > The CJKCodecs is a unified unicode codec set for Chinese, Japanese
> > and Korean encodings.
>
> Is this packages intended to replace the ChineseCodecs[1],
> KoreanCodecs[2], and JapaneseCodecs[3] packages, which are currently
> available separately?
>
> I see KoreanCodecs is marked "obsolete", but I see not similar mention
> on the pages for ChineseCodecs and JapaneseCodecs.

Yup. KoreanCodecs will be retired after CJKCodecs 1.0 is released.
And, I don't have permissions to replace the others because I am not
an author of them.

Comparisons for CJKCodecs 1.0 vs {C,J,K}Codecs:

            JapaneseCodecs  ChineseCodecs   KoreanCodecs    CJKCodecs

PEP293          no              no              no              yes

StreamReader    yes             no            partly(1)         yes

StreamWriter    no              no              no              yes

License         BSD             GPL            LGPL             BSD

Last Update   Oct 2002       Nov 2000        Jul 2002     in development
              (1.4.9)        (1.2.0)         (2.0.5)          (0.9)

Source Size    304KB           528KB          224KB           464KB

Binary Size    816KB           616KB          680KB           328KB
(FreeBSD/ia32)

Encodings(C)                   big5                           big5
                               gb2312                         gb2312
                                                              gbk
                                                              gb18030
                                                              cp950
                                                              hz

Encodings(J)   euc-jp                                         euc-jp
               cp932                                          cp932
               iso-2022-jp                                    iso-2022-jp
               iso-2022-jp-1                                  iso-2022-jp-1
                                                              iso-2022-jp-2
                                                              iso-2022-jp-3
                                                              euc-jisx0213
                                                              shift-jisx0213

Encodings(K)                                   euc-kr         euc-kr
                                               cp949          cp949
                                               johab          johab
                                               unijohab(2)
                                               qwerty2bul
                                               mac_korean

Implementation  Pure / C      Pure / C         Pure / C       C only

(1) KoreanCodecs supports 'sane' StreamReader for euc-kr, cp949 and johab
    only.
(2) unijohab, qwerty2bul and mac_korean are quite minor encodings and
    ignorable.

I don't think CJKCodecs can replace Chinese and JapaneseCodecs immediately.
But, CJKCodecs will be remain useful in respect of abililty to support
inter-cjk encodings like ISO-2022-JP-2 and ISO-2022-INT-1.

Thank you for your interests! :)

Regards,
    Hye-Shik =)