[I18n-sig] JapaneseCodecs 1.4.8 released

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
06 Sep 2002 08:50:44 +0200

Tom Emerson <tree@basistech.com> writes:

> The "usual" recommendation is to map 0x5C to U+00A5 when dealing with
> pure ShiftJIS and to U+005C when dealing with CP932.
>
> There is a similar problem with 0x7E where it maps to different things
> in ShiftJIS and CP932.

That indicates that JapanseCodecs should *not* treat shift-jis and
cp932 as synonyms, right?

> You answer your own question, sort of. The Consortium no longer
> maintains the East Asian mapping tables (with the exception of JIS X
> 0213, GB 18030, and HKSCS, where mappings are supplied by the
> Japanese, Chinese, and Kong Kong SAR governments, respectively). This
> has been a point of contention between me and the UTC, but they don't
> want to and I don't have time.

Yes, but they claim that the UniHan database is a replacement. That
appears to be the case for a lot of code points, but that database
fails to document mappings for non-Hanzi, right?