[I18n-sig] Japanese input in Tkinter

Atsuo Ishimoto ishimoto@gembook.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:49:31 +0900

On 30 May 2002 00:16:56 +0200
martin@v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) wrote:

> Fredrik Hugosson <fredrik.hugosson@decuma.se> writes:
>
> > Does anyone have a solution or similar experiences?
>
> You should indeed make sure that Tcl finds its encoding files. Try
> executing "encoding names" for a tkapp object, to verify you get a
> long list of encodings. If you only get the system encoding and UTF-8,
> it didn't work - try the FixTk.py script from the Python CVS in this
> case.

As I know, Python 2.2.1 on Windows doesn't have this problem. I  had to
tweak tcl setting for 2.2, though.

> I'm also surprised that Tk supposedly works with MS IME; I know for
> fact that it doesn't work with XIM (on X11). You may want to verify
> that Tk really supports MS IME on your system, by installing a plain
> Tk 8.3 on your system.

Tcl/Tk works with IME on Windows.

> HTH,
> Martin

For people interested in Python in Japanese:
I built custom Python installer for Japanese/Win32.

http://python.jp/pub/sjis-win32/python221jp.exe

This installer contains modified version of python22.dll, Idle, pyexpat, os,
glob, fnmatch. It also contains JapaneseCodecs and Tcl/Tk 8.3.1 modified
for better IME handling.

Atsuo Ishimoto
ishimoto@gembook.org
Homepage:http://www.gembook.jp