[I18n-sig] raw-unicode-escape encoding

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
08 Mar 2002 19:01:21 +0100

David Goodger <goodger@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> >> If I'm not mistaken, '\xa7' is *not* the same as '\u00a7'
> >
> > You are mistaken.
>
> Would I still be mistaken if I put it like this: '\xa7' is not the same as
> u'\u00a7'? (Note the '' and u''.) That's what the raw-unicode-escape coded
> is doing.

It depends on the meaning of "is the same". If you compare the text,
\xa7 is different from \xA7, which is different from \u00A7. In the
context of raw-unicode-escape, they are the same - both are used to
identify Unicode characters, and they identify the same character
(whether with a lower or uppercase letter, and whether in the \x, \u,
or \U notation).