[I18n-sig] PEP 263 and Japanese native encodings

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:01:25 +0100

Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:

> I don't want the PEP to exclude the two widely used Japanese
> encodings, especially Shift_JIS.  I think the only acceptable
> requirement for an ASCII compatible encoding is the property
> that it can represent the first two lines of comments only by
> ASCII characters.  Other requirements will not make the two
> Japanese encodings ASCII comatible.

+1, I'll add a note to the PEP about this.

The whole ASCII business is really only about the first two lines
and that's it. In phase 2, the complete file will be decoded into
Unicode, so the problems you now see with backslashes as final
character in string literals (caused by Shift_JIS) will go away.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH