[I18n-sig] IANA names for character set encodings?

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:10:16 -0500

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
> Adding all of them seems overkill though... and cumbersome, e.g.
> nobody uses names like ANSI_X3.4-1968 -- us-ascii is the
> common name.

Sure, but I've seen machine generated markup/documents that make use
of the ANSI_X3.4-1968 name, particularly those coming out of
Government agencies.

If we are going to support the IANA names, then there is no reason not
to support all of them. Picking and choosing those that we think
aren't used is asking for a bug report.

This is a no brainer.

    -tree

Sr. Computational Linguist                         http://www.basistech.com