[I18n-sig] Intro + Encoding names issue

Matt Gushee matt.gushee@fourthought.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:49:15 +0000

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > Matt Gushee wrote:
 > >
 > > So the ideal would be a solution that allowed codecs developers to
 > > maintain separate packages, but have their component modules "plugged
 > > in" to the encodings namespace on installation.
 > >
 > > Apparently the above is impossible or at least very difficult with
 > > Distutils. Maybe a workable compromise would be to have some sort of
 > > codecs installation utility that would let end users, in one simple
 > > step, insert a set of codecs into the main encodings namespace.
 >
 > Just put an application specific codec search function into
 > Ft.__init__ and have this search function do the aliasing you wish
 > to have in place.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I will do this if I have to. But I
was hoping for some discussion of:

    1) whether it is appropriate to put the burden of creating aliases
       on either application developers or end users (and you probably
       gathered that I think it isn't); and

    2) assuming we would like people to be able to use standard
       encoding names without creating their own aliases, is there a
       way to accomplish this goal and still allow language-specific
       codecs sets to be maintained as separate packages?

--
Matt Gushee                               Consultant
matt.gushee@fourthought.com               +1 303 583 9900 x108