[I18n-sig] XML and UTF-16

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 17:27:17 -0400

Martin v. Loewis writes:
> Please note that ASCII is not detectable this way: If you see '<?xml',
> then you don't know anything about the encoding except that you should
> be able to parse the encoding= attribute successfully if present.

Yes, of course --- I wasn't sufficiently explicit. If you see "<?xml"
then you know that you are looking at 7-bit characters that are at
least the same as US-ASCII, but could be a variant (GB-Roman,
JIS-Roman, etc.) but could be Latin-1 or UTF-8.

    -tree

Sr. Sinostringologist                              http://www.basistech.com