[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext.py extraction of docstrings

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Thu, 24 May 2001 19:15:50 -0400

    >> I think the correct thing to do is to mark docstring
    >> extractions with #. docstring comments.

    KE> No, #. is reserved for literally extracted comments; #, is for
    KE> meta-comments.  Martin's proposal sounds better.

You probably know better than me, but, is that opinion based on more
information than is available in the GNU gettext manual?

    http://www.gnu.org/manual/gettext/html_node/gettext_9.html#SEC9

seems to imply to me that #, comments define only two flags
(i.e. "fuzzy" and "c-format" / "no-c-format") and it doesn't say that
the flags are extensible or user definable.  Then again, it doesn't
say that #. comments are reserved.  It basically just says that
#-whitespace comments are reserved for the translators.

I'm happy to switch it, but I'd really like to have a reference I can
point to to short-circuit any further discussion.  Even a mailing list
archive url would be fine.

Thanks,
-Barry