[I18n-sig] Transparent Encoding

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 22:05:20 +0200

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I would like to suggest that if the "data_encoding" parameter of
> EncodedFile is missing or None, the encoding "unicode_internal" should
> be used. Right now it is not really clear how to use the EncodedFile to
> *encode* or *decode* as opposed to *transcode* (translate between
> encodings). In fact it is documented only as a transcoder even though I
> think that it will more often be used as an encoder or decoder.

EncodedFile() creates an object which interfaces between two
worlds: the file and the program. In this sense it is always
a recoder.

I don't see why you want to make unicode-internal the default
for data_encoding... if you don't want an encoding, you shouldn't
use EncodedFile() at all.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH